Blue Mountains News
New Glenbrook Playground Features Local History
Climbing apparatus inspired by when Glenbrook was called Watertank, a horse sculpture called ‘Henrietta’ and sandstone features, sourced from upgrade projects on local roads, are some of the attractions.
“Many of the features of the playground reflect the early days of Glenbrook and the importance of early forms of transport,” Mayor Mark Greenhill said. “By looking around you can find horse riding, cart and railway references, as well as tributes to early roads.”
Transport features at the park also include:
- A sensory trail which includes a variety of items from trains that can be touched and moved. These have been mounted at wheelchair height to ensure accessibility.
- Railway tracks used as balance beams.
- A set of railway luggage scales used as a small platform or stage for small children.
- Horse shoes, including large shoes from a cart horse, and
- Railway sleepers and fettler’s cart wheels, used in the construction of the park.
“Glenbrook was originally called Watertank from when the trains stopped in Glenbrook, before the track was realigned through the Lapstone Tunnel, to collect water. Two of the play structures are based on water tanks,” Cr Greenhill said.
“Sandstone, rescued from the highway upgrades, has been used throughout the playground. Pick marks can still be seen on the stones. The wall with the slide and climbing net is designed as a road cutting and is aligned with the original Cox’s Road that ran through the location.”
Many community groups contributed to the creation of the playground, including:
- Sun Valley Pony Club
- Valley Heights Locomotive Depot Railway Museum
- Lower Mountains Men’s Shed
- Lapstone Out of School Hours (LOOSH) Care, and
- The Luke Priddis Foundation.
Federal Member for Macquarie Susan Templeman joined the Mayor, Councillors and local families at the official opening of the playground on 7 April, which included a cake cutting ceremony.
To reduce energy costs and provide a power contingency measure, Counci...
ILLUMINATE THE PAST | EVOKE THE PRESENT | EMERGE INTO THE FUTURE
Following on from the single releases of The Daily Grind and Apartmentality,...
National Parks & Wildlife Service
Blue Mountains National Park –...
Jenolan Caves Exclusive weekend accommodation or Chisolm's dining cave experiences available now.
Trumans Chartered Accountants Trumans November Newsletter now available. What does the “full expensing” write-off deduction mean for business?
Marriage Celebrant - A Ceremony by Design A Ceremony by Design is seizing the opportunity to re-imagine weddings for the 2020s.
Melaleuca Mountain Retreat Views that will leave you breathless, a place to relax. Melaleuca Mountain Retreat offers the perfect getaway !!
Seclusions Looking for a weekend escape to relax & unwind?