4:26pm Monday, 22 October BlueMountainsAustralia.com
Blue Mountains News
New Glenbrook Playground Features Local History
Climbing apparatus inspired by when Glenbrook was called Watertank, a horse sculpture called ‘Henrietta’ and sandstone features, sourced from upgrade projects on local roads, are some of the attractions.
“Many of the features of the playground reflect the early days of Glenbrook and the importance of early forms of transport,” Mayor Mark Greenhill said. “By looking around you can find horse riding, cart and railway references, as well as tributes to early roads.”
Transport features at the park also include:
- A sensory trail which includes a variety of items from trains that can be touched and moved. These have been mounted at wheelchair height to ensure accessibility.
- Railway tracks used as balance beams.
- A set of railway luggage scales used as a small platform or stage for small children.
- Horse shoes, including large shoes from a cart horse, and
- Railway sleepers and fettler’s cart wheels, used in the construction of the park.
“Glenbrook was originally called Watertank from when the trains stopped in Glenbrook, before the track was realigned through the Lapstone Tunnel, to collect water. Two of the play structures are based on water tanks,” Cr Greenhill said.
“Sandstone, rescued from the highway upgrades, has been used throughout the playground. Pick marks can still be seen on the stones. The wall with the slide and climbing net is designed as a road cutting and is aligned with the original Cox’s Road that ran through the location.”
Many community groups contributed to the creation of the playground, including:
- Sun Valley Pony Club
- Valley Heights Locomotive Depot Railway Museum
- Lower Mountains Men’s Shed
- Lapstone Out of School Hours (LOOSH) Care, and
- The Luke Priddis Foundation.
Federal Member for Macquarie Susan Templeman joined the Mayor, Councillors and local families at the official opening of the playground on 7 April, which included a cake cutting ceremony.
This article archived 17 Jun 2018
LEGENDS Pro-Am - Wednesday 7th November. It features great names from...
Federal Member for Macquarie, Susan Templeman, has congratulated Springwood...
The Liberal-National Government will deliver additional tax relief to...
“Council has heard the observations by the community regarding the reinstallation...
Owning a dog is both a great pleasure and great responsibility. Lithgow...
Think Conveyancing Blue Mountains
High and Wild Australian Adventures
Glamour & Elegance Mobile Beauty
Blue Mountains Lakeside B&B & Self-contained
Federation Gardens and Possums Hideaway