Blue Mountains News
Lithgow Ability Awards
Twenty three nominees and their supporters were treated to an afternoon tea celebration that saw the following people and organisations take out the winning categories:
- Volunteer of the Year – Jenny Creevey
- Lithgow Ability Mastery Award – Leanne Walding
- Community Leader Award – Peyton Richardson
- Fundraiser Award – Peyton Richardson
- Employee of the Year Award – Priscilla Steele
- Employer of the Year Award - Lithgow Information and Neighbourhood Centre Limited
- Health and Wellbeing Award – Lithgow High School Wellbeing Centre
- Accessibility Award – Lithgow City Council – Adventure Playground
- Young Community Spirit Award – Lithgow High School – Transition to Work Class 2018
- Young Community Spirit Award – La Salle Academy Access Class 2018
- Community Project Award – Lithgow High School Special Education – Transition to Work Program
The awards were opened with an inspiring presentation and performance by professional saxophone player Neil Duncan, who shared his amazing story of adapting to playing with one arm following an illness and now playing one of the world’s few saxophones for one armed players.
“I felt privileged to be a part of the 2018 Lithgow Ability Awards and to honour such a wonderful and deserving group of people,” said Mayor of Lithgow City Council, Clr Ray Thompson. “We have a lot of amazing things going on in our community, many of which are thanks to the people we have celebrated today.”
“The dedication shown from advocating for rights and needs, to making play spaces where everyone can play, and; to supporting access to programs and workplaces is inspiring. I commend the work that is being done to make Lithgow a more inclusive place for people with a disability, ” concluded the Mayor.
Lithgow City Council is committed to enabling all people to participate in every part of community life. This commitment is outlined is great detail in Council’s Disability Inclusion Action Plan, which can be accessed via the Council website
For further information about the Lithgow Ability Awards or to get a copy of Council’s Disability Inclusion Action Plan, please contact Council’s Community Development Officers, Viktoria Gulabovski or Kristy Lenon on (02) 6354 9999.
Following on from the single releases of The Daily Grind and Apartmentality,...
National Parks & Wildlife Service
Blue Mountains National Park –...
More than 1400 volunteers contributed nearly 13,000 hours to Council-managed...
With Christmas just around the corner, and 2020 – a year like no other...
TAFE NSW has collaborated with Transport for NSW in their Towards Zero...
Jenolan Caves Exclusive weekend accommodation or Chisolm's dining cave experiences available now.
Trumans Chartered Accountants Trumans November Newsletter now available. What does the “full expensing” write-off deduction mean for business?
Marriage Celebrant - A Ceremony by Design A Ceremony by Design is seizing the opportunity to re-imagine weddings for the 2020s.
Melaleuca Mountain Retreat Views that will leave you breathless, a place to relax. Melaleuca Mountain Retreat offers the perfect getaway !!
Seclusions Looking for a weekend escape to relax & unwind?