Blue Mountains News
Hazard Reduction Burns Scheduled for the Blue Mountains
NSW RFS, National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) and Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Crews would undertake the scheduled burns, conditions permitting.
The Bullaburra burn is near Red Gum Creek, Bullaburra and started today 7th May.
The Katoomba burn between 8 May and 11 May 2018 will be in the vicinity of Blue Mountains National Park at Mount Solitary, Katoomba.
The Springwood burn will take place South of Raymond Road, Picnic Glen, Burns Road and Spring Street, Springwood on 11-13 May 2018.
These hazard reductions would likely be completed within a few days, with crews from all agencies assessing and patrolling the area for several days.
NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) Blue Mountains District Manager Superintendent David Jones said, “Motorists are reminded to allow extra travel time due to smoke, drive to conditions, turn on headlights and take direction from fire crews working in the area.
“Residents will notice smoke and we remind everyone to only call Triple Zero (000) if you see a fire without a fire truck in attendance.”
If there is a hazard reduction burn planned for your area, take the following steps:
- Keep doors and windows closed to prevent smoke entering homes
- Keep outdoor furniture under cover to prevent ember burns
- Retract pool covers to prevent ember damage
- Remove washing from clotheslines
- Ensure pets have a protected area
- Vehicles must slow down, keep windows up, turn headlights on
- Sightseers must keep away from burns for their own safety
- If you have asthma or a lung condition, reduce outdoor activities if smoke levels are high and if shortness of breath or coughing develops, take your reliever medicine or seek medical advice
For health information relating to smoke from bush fires and hazard reduction burning, visit NSW Health or the Asthma Foundation. For more information about hazard reduction, refer to RFS NSW or the NSW RFS Fires Near Me app.
Thursday 24th May 2018 – 6am – 12 noon – weather dependent
Australia’s favourite electric string quartet, FourPlay, return with a...
Refugee Week 2018 from 17-23 June is a time when Australia celebrates...
National Volunteer Week - Give a Little. Change a Lot.
Minister for Finance, Mathias Cormann joined Senator for Western Sydne...
The Blue Mountains Botanic Garden, Mount Tomah
Blue Mountains Concert Society