Blue Mountains News
Council’s Disability Inclusion Action Plan Now on Exhibition
The NSW Disability Inclusion Act 2014 aims to improve the lives of people with disability and build a more inclusive community, through planning and coordination across all levels of government.
Analysis indicates that there are significant economic benefits from increasing inclusiveness. There are financial benefits for individuals and for the larger economy by enabling people to have productive and fulfilling employments. Inclusive planning and the application of universal design principles also avoids later modification costs.
All Councils are required under the NSW Disability Inclusion Act to develop a new Disability Inclusion Action Plan (DIAP) by 30 November 2023.
Since adopting its first DIAP in 2017, Lithgow City Council has made good progress with initiatives to improve access for people with a disability, such as:
- Lithgow Blast Furnace elevated walkways, platforms and pathways are largely accessible;
- Lithgow Adventure Playground is designed to universal access principles with the bulk of play equipment accessible;
- Lake Wallace accessible fishing pontoon is the first accessible fishing pontoon in inland NSW;
- Accessibility upgrades to the Union Theatre; and
- Accessible toilets have been installed in several locations including Lithgow CBD, Blast Furnace, Adventure Playground and along Farmers Creek.
The new DIAP has been informed by:
- Consultation with disability service providers;
- Community surveys and focus groups;
- Consultation with relevant Council staff; and
- A review of relevant Council policy and procedures.
The DIAP includes an action plan across a number of Council departments and functions in relation to each of these focus areas/ domains.
The new DIAP is on public exhibition until Friday 17 November 2023 at the following location:here
Written comments will be received up until 4.30pm Friday 17 November 2023 by emailor PO Box 19 Lithgow 2790.
The National Parks project to upgrade the Wentworth Falls picnic area...
Blue Mountains City Council is celebrating the third annual Love Local...
More than 80 people gathered at the Blue Mountains Theatre and Community...
The Blue Mountains Cultural Centre is partnering with the National Gallery...
Blue Mountains Limousines & Vintage Cadillacs Enjoy our 9 seat Stretch Limo with TV & Champagne Bar. Travel in Style!
Fifth Ave Katoomba Retreat Experience La Dolce Vita in the Blue Mtns with one of our Cooking Classes on your next trip.
Simmo's Offroad Tours 4WD Tag-a-Long Tour showcasing the Blue Mountains, an introduction to four wheel driving, Sunday 10th December
La Casetta Guest review: Such a stunningly practical luxurious home, close to the magnificent mountains, restaurants, markets,shops
Federation Gardens and Possums Hideaway Toast marshmallows around the cosy firepit.