Blue Mountains News
Council Endorses Projects to Reduce Its Carbon Footprint and Save Money
The projects are part of Council’s Carbon Abatement Investment Plan and reduce operational costs, as well as reduce carbon emissions.
Blue Mountains Mayor, Cr Mark Greenhill, said: “The investment plan is a critical step in achieving Council’s carbon reduction targets.
“It clearly demonstrates Council’s commitment to reducing emissions and the global effort to avoid the most severe impacts of climate change. This level of financial investment reflects Council’s recent declaration of a climate emergency and the need for urgent action.”
The recommended projects are:
- Replacement of 2,781 streetlights with LEDs.
- Upgrade of inefficient lighting to LEDs across Council facilities.
- Replacement of old lighting with LEDs, and installation of solar PV, at Katoomba and Blackheath tourist parks.
- Replacement of boiler with highly efficient condensing boiler at Council’s headquarters in Katoomba.
- Upgrade of old lighting to LEDs at Council’s Hope Street facility, at Blaxland.
- Upgrade of old lighting to LEDs at Council’s South Street depot, at Katoomba.
A key component of the Carbon Abatement Investment Plan is the Carbon Revolving Reserve (CRR), which provides an ongoing source of investment to deliver carbon abatement across Council’s business.
The six projects endorsed for 2019-2020 will receive investment from the CRR of just over $1 million. The projects will also use $272,000 of grant funds or other contributions.
They will deliver combined annual savings of $238,100, giving an average payback period of 4.6 years, and carbon savings of more than 1,100 tonnes of CO2e per year.
The investment plan is delivered in conjunction with Council’s non-capital works program, adopted at the end of last year including:
- Investigate and develop centralised data monitoring
- Staff training
- Organisational behaviour change initiatives
- Expansion of energy audit program
- Investigate off site Power Purchase Agreement (PPA)
- Coordinate minimum energy standards for all new Council buildings, and
- Review barriers and opportunities around electric vehicles within fleet.
A new initiative ‘Zero Waste Leura’ was launched at Leura Garage on 25...
Community enthusiasm for environmental conservation has grown this year,...
A Total Fire Ban has been declared for the Central Ranges, Northern Slopes,...
Lithgow Mayor, Ray Thompson had the privilege of wishing Dulcie Kearns...
Stuart Ayres MP, Member for Penrith today congratulated Cindy Partridg...
Blue Mountains Limousines & Vintage Cadillacs Hampers crammed with Blue Mountains-made delicacies to children or adults at any address in the local region.
Jenolan Caves Exclusive weekend accommodation or Chisolm's dining cave experiences available now.
Trumans Chartered Accountants Trumans November Newsletter now available. What does the “full expensing” write-off deduction mean for business?
Sunset Cottages Features include large fire pit, spa baths, BBQ, air-conditioning, cooking facilities.
Federation Gardens and Possums Hideaway Family friendly, fully self contained cottages on offer