Blue Mountains News
Council Endorses Blue Mountains City of the Arts Grants
The successful projects reflect a range of art forms including visual arts, literature, music, textile arts, photography and cross-art forms.
Mayor, Cr Mark Greenhill, said the Blue Mountains City of the Arts Grants Program was created to build on the City’s reputation of being the State’s inaugural City of the Arts.
“This expansive grants program provides opportunities for the engagement of local artists and is a stimulus for creativity in the Blue Mountains,” Cr Greenhill said.
“With $50,000 a year for the Trust to administer the project, we are able to strengthen the arts and engage our local communities and visitors as both participants and audiences.”
The following six projects were selected based on their merit against the advertised program guidelines of quality and/or innovation, capacity and community engagement.
- Willem Hendriksen for FunKtion @ The Junction: A Musical Development Youth Mentorship Program – $10,000
- Miriam Williamson for Birdland (Drawing on the science of ornithology) – $8,800
- David Brazil for Re-take Blue Mountains (Re-photographing and re-imagining the images of early 20th Century Blue Mountains photographs) – $6,590
- The Big Fix for Blue Mountains Pluriversity Arts & Cultural Pilot Program – $10,000
- Modern Arts Projects Blue Mountains for Sewnup (Exploring the tension between beautiful textiles and clothing products and questionable aspects of their product cycle) – $9,300
- Varuna – The National Writers House for Blue Mountains Writers' Festival – $8,000
Council has also endorsed new committee members for the Blue Mountains City of the Arts Trust Advisory Committee. We welcome Susan Hayes, Cassandra Hard Lawrie and Marguerite Pepper to the committee as community representatives, for a three year term. We also thank Bridgette Van Leuven for her service on the committee.
Take the pledge and support Lithgow’s Plastic Free July morning tea today...
Be Connected is an Australian government initiative that aims to increase...
A flag raising ceremony has been held at Lithgow County Council to mar...
Council is hearing the views of Blue Mountains businesses at a quarterly...
Blue Mountains Council has been appointed Crown Land Manager of Blaxland...
Blue Mountains Concert Society Sat 10 Aug, 7.30pm, Blue Mountains Theatre, Springwood. See our website. Book online or (02) 4723 5050
Blue Mountains Mystery Tours Join Paranormal Pete to investigate the reports of Ghosts & Paranormal activity at Woodford Academy, 16th AUGUST.
Lindsay's Cafe A wonderful place for breakfast or lunch. Warm inside, delightful outside. @ the Norman Lindsay Gallery
Sophia's of Leura Enjoy a winter break away in beautiful Leura. Crisp fresh air, maybe a bit of snow and stunning scenery.
Valley of the Waters Mon-Thurs Cliff View room $219 per double per night, or The Loft suite $239 including cooked or continental breakfasts