Blue Mountains News
Council Endorses Blue Mountains City of the Arts Grants
The successful projects reflect a range of art forms including visual arts, literature, music, textile arts, photography and cross-art forms.
Mayor, Cr Mark Greenhill, said the Blue Mountains City of the Arts Grants Program was created to build on the City’s reputation of being the State’s inaugural City of the Arts.
“This expansive grants program provides opportunities for the engagement of local artists and is a stimulus for creativity in the Blue Mountains,” Cr Greenhill said.
“With $50,000 a year for the Trust to administer the project, we are able to strengthen the arts and engage our local communities and visitors as both participants and audiences.”
The following six projects were selected based on their merit against the advertised program guidelines of quality and/or innovation, capacity and community engagement.
- Willem Hendriksen for FunKtion @ The Junction: A Musical Development Youth Mentorship Program – $10,000
- Miriam Williamson for Birdland (Drawing on the science of ornithology) – $8,800
- David Brazil for Re-take Blue Mountains (Re-photographing and re-imagining the images of early 20th Century Blue Mountains photographs) – $6,590
- The Big Fix for Blue Mountains Pluriversity Arts & Cultural Pilot Program – $10,000
- Modern Arts Projects Blue Mountains for Sewnup (Exploring the tension between beautiful textiles and clothing products and questionable aspects of their product cycle) – $9,300
- Varuna – The National Writers House for Blue Mountains Writers' Festival – $8,000
Council has also endorsed new committee members for the Blue Mountains City of the Arts Trust Advisory Committee. We welcome Susan Hayes, Cassandra Hard Lawrie and Marguerite Pepper to the committee as community representatives, for a three year term. We also thank Bridgette Van Leuven for her service on the committee.
Eric Hill’s loveable puppy Spot has been an integral part of early childhood...
Following the release of two brand new singles ‘Howlin at the Moon’ an...
Young Musicians’ Winter School Culminates in Spectacular Concert Australian...
IPART is reviewing local government election costs and has recommended...
Take the pledge and support Lithgow’s Plastic Free July morning tea today...
Simmo's Offroad Tours 4WD Tag-a-Long Tour to Jenolan Caves & beyond, 3rd & 4th August, Medium grade tour suitable for standard 4WD's.
Blue Mountains Concert Society Sat 10 Aug, 7.30pm, Blue Mountains Theatre, Springwood. See our website. Book online or (02) 4723 5050
Blue Mountains Mystery Tours Join Paranormal Pete to investigate the reports of Ghosts & Paranormal activity at Woodford Academy, 16th AUGUST.
Federation Gardens and Possums Hideaway Winter is here! Toast marshmallows around the cosy fire-pit.
Eagle View Escape Ask about our 'ditch your device' campaign. Willing to sacrifice your devices for the weekend?