Blue Mountains News
Council Announces New Measures to Restrict the Spread of COVID-19
Mayor Greenhill said: “Frankly, I think the nation needs to go faster. My view is that we need to go hard and go early. I think other levels of government have missed opportunities but I am determined that the Blue Mountains local government will not.
“We recently closed all our pools and libraries except the newer facilities at Springwood and Katoomba. We have cancelled events and gatherings and we have closed our city theatre.
“On Tuesday 24 March 2020, following the consultation of staff and stakeholders we will commence further closures in order to ensure the safety of our community and our staff.
“To date, while we have been acting on the advice of NSW Health, I will admit some of these measures go further. I would rather be accused of doing too much than doing too little.”
From Tuesday the following will be CLOSED:
- Blue Mountains Hub, at Springwood, including the Customer Contact Centre. Lower Mountains residents will be able to access services and pay accounts over the phone, or online, or via cheque. Get more information at https://www.bmcc.nsw.gov.au/.
- Katoomba Resource Recovery and Waste Management Facility
- Katoomba and Springwood Libraries. This follows the closure of Blackheath, Wentworth Falls, Lawson and Blaxland on Thursday, 19 March.
- Blue Mountains Cultural Centre, and
- All public halls including Wentworth Falls School of Arts and Glenbrook Cinema.
In line with the Federal Government’s direction on Sunday, 22 March Katoomba and Springwood Leisure and Aquatic Centres, including gyms, will close from midday today (23 March). This follows the closure of Glenbrook and Lawson pools on Thursday, 19 March.
Councillor briefings will be suspended until further notice.
A Mayoral Minute will also go to the Extraordinary Meeting, scheduled for Wednesday 25 March 2020, seeking endorsement for the public gallery to be suspended at all Council Meetings until further notice. It will also seek to hold Council Meetings remotely, if necessary.
Council is seeking urgent advice from the NSW Government about closing Echo Point. Council closed its Visitor Information Centres, at Glenbrook and Echo Point, and the Bushcare program on Thursday 19 March.
Council’s essential community services will continue to operate. This includes the:
- Customer Contact Centre at Katoomba.
- Domestic waste collection service and Blaxland Resource Recovery and Waste Management Facility – but we encourage the community to use this tip for essential matters only.
- Precinct cleaning of the town centres
- All public toilets for areas that remain open
- City presentation including the mowing of parks
- Road crews in the upper and lower mountains
- General maintenance, and
- Burials and Ashes Placement.
“I take our council’s responsibility for protecting the community and staff very seriously. I believe these measures will increase public safety.
“I call on residents to stay at home as much as possible and avoid public areas.
“Our strength is our community spirit, here in the Blue Mountains. We are better together and together we will get through this.”
Evidence heard in Senate Estimates has revealed the Government’s own bushfire...
Dinosaur Valley is returning to Scenic World this summer, bringing the...
Great Southern Nights in association with Fusion Boutique Presents 4 fabulous...
National Parks & Wildlife Service
Blue Mountains National Park –...
Blue Mountains City Council has welcomed an apology from the NSW Government,...
Silk's Brasserie From November SILK'S will be permanently based at SILVERMERE in Wentworth Falls, just 7 minutes from Leura.
Blue Mountains Limousines & Vintage Cadillacs Enjoy our selection of modern Caprice ,Stretch Limo and our 1929 Cadillac LaSalle for local tours.
Fairmont Resort & Spa Blue Mountains, MGallery by Sofitel with a luxe sparkling High Tea at Fairmont Resort & Spa, Leura. Visit our website to book now!
Eagle View Escape Nestled amongst the trees, enjoy nature and the tranqility whilst soaking in your Spa bath.
Melaleuca Mountain Retreat Views that will leave you breathless, a place to relax. Melaleuca Mountain Retreat offers the perfect getaway !!