The Blue Mountains Botanic Garden, Mount Tomah
Stay at Blue Mountains Botanic Garden
Sleeping up to 10 people, fireplace, private Garden access, panoramic views
posted: 10:05am 14 May 2018
Celebrate Botanic Gardens Day Sunday
We have a free guided walk at 11am & 12.30pm (limited to 15 spots)
posted: 4:10pm 22 May 2018
This breathtaking Garden is the only botanic garden in the world located in a World Heritage Area. Focused on the conservation of cool climate plants it is home to 21,000 plants and 900 species. Located under 2-hours’ drive from Sydney airport and less than an hour from Penrith and Richmond, the Garden is the perfect backdrop for a gathering, workshop or family day out.
The Garden features a world class collection of cool climate plants grouped according to their geographical origin. This allows the visitor to see both the similarities and differences between the plants of each region.
A cool and tranquil environment with mild summer temperatures, the Blue Mountains Botanic Garden is an ideal place to display plants from the cooler regions of the world. The top 100 metres of Mount Tomah consists of a layer of basalt; a volcanic rock which weathers to form a rich acid clay loam that is more fertile than most Australian soils. Basalt has many fine vertical cracks, called ‘columnar jointing’, which form when the rock cools. These joints trap rain water, forming a natural underground reservoir which provides a water supply for the garden. Hexagonal basalt blocks are used in walls around the garden.
- Free guided tours by a volunteer guide
- Garden shuttle tours
- Learn about the Blue Mountains in the Botanists Way
- A schedule of workshops, walks and educational programs for adults, families and kids
- Personalised tours for groups
- Seasonal displays and events and festivals
- Ceremonies, functions and conference facilities plus hire of indoor & outdoor sites around the Garden for your gathering including free BBQs
- Accommodation at the garden at The Jungle Lodge
- Mobility scooter for hire and assessable parking, amenities and maps
Visit our website for more information
The Blue Mountains Botanic Garden is open every day except Christmas Day.
Monday - Friday: 9.00 am - 5.30 pm
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays: 9.30 am - 5.30 pm
Entry is free
No pets allowed in the Garden
Enquiries 02 4567 3000
How To Get Here..
- By car from Sydney: Take Bells Line of Road from Richmond. Mount Tomah is 40 kilometres west of Richmond. Look out for the signs.
- By car from Lithgow: Take Bells Line of Road from Lithgow. Mount Tomah is 39 kilometres east of Lithgow.
- Public transport: Unfortunately, the Blue Mountains Botanic Garden, Mount Tomah, isn't accessible by public transport.
- Coach tours: Tour groups are very welcome at the Blue Mountains Botanic Gardens. If you are arriving by bus, coach or minibus, please book on 02 4567 3000 to reserve a parking space and so we are ready to welcome you. We will do our best to accommodate you but on public holiday weekends and during school holidays we may need to direct your coach to park locally off site.
Spring Bird Walk with Carol Probets
Saturday, October 21 8am-11am - Join birding guide Carol Probets on a morning walk to see some of the Garden's beautiful birds and learn about their habits. In spring, many species are nesting and singing their most elaborate songs. Get some tips from Carol on how to use binoculars and how to spot birds. Suitable for beginners or those who have already done some birding. Participants to bring walking shoes, sunhat, sunscreen, bottle of water, notebook/pen, binoculars, raincoat for light rain, (camera optional).